All About the Children’s Enrichment Committee of Orange County
In 1911, noted philanthropist Ann Delano Hitch, aunt of future president Franklin Delano Roosevelt, donated $2,000 to the Newburgh (NY) Agency for Dependent Children. From this donation, the Children’s Enrichment Committee of Orange County was born. The Children’s Enrichment Committee is devoted to helping children, especially those in foster care, in Orange County, New York.
The CEC gives holiday presents to Orange County foster children, as well as helps pay for music and dance lessons, musical instrument rentals, summer camp, field trips, sports clubs fees, prom dresses, and class rings.
The CEC also sponsors the Emily Akers Scholarship Fund, which provides aid to Orange County students in colleges and universities.
There are no membership fees, and all are welcome to join us!
Image: Anna Delano Hitch, first woman member of The Lion’s Club, with her nephew Franklin Delano Roosevelt. “It is no wonder people in every walk of life in Newburgh loved her.”
“The CEC is an all-volunteer organization dedicated to enhancing the lives of foster children and young people in need by supporting educational, cultural, and social opportunities that contribute to their growth and brighten their lives.”
Right now we are gearing up to answer one hundred children’s holiday wish lists! We hope you will join us and contribute to this effort.
Read About our Recent Activity
- Volunteer Spotlight – December 2023The Children’s Enrichment Committee is thrilled to have its very own Santa’s helper! Ruth Dean, a dedicated CEC volunteer, has organizes the holiday gift giving program each year which brings joy to over 100 children who are in the Orange County foster care system. Ruth receives wish lists from the Department of Social Services, coordinates shoppers, and arranges delivery of the gifts to caseworkers. This year there were over 30 shoppers which included CEC members, DRC staff members and students from the Pine Bush High School Interact Club. Thank you Ruth for all your hard work to help make the … Read more
- Volunteer Spotlight – Holidays 2023Several years ago, our valued member, Judy Racino, introduced CEC to her knitting and crocheting group, “The Yarntastics”, of Newburgh, NY. Since then, the knitting needles and crochet hooks have been busy creating hundreds of hats, scarves and blankets for the children who are served by CEC. Judy has been a tireless liaison between the two groups, coordinating and collecting these beautiful items that will warm countless children. In addition, she has collected gift cards to be used for the children during the holidays. All this is done while she herself knits items to donate as well. CEC sends a … Read more
- The Children’s Enrichment Committee Doesn’t Take The Summer OffWe all love the long days and dreamy nights of summer and this summer was no exception. But the needs of children don’t take the summer off, and the Children’s Enrichment Committee was there to help. We paid for art therapy (not covered by insurance) for one child and made sure an active six-year-old would be kept busy at the local town’s recreation program for six weeks. Other children got new clothes for school and a backpack filled with school supplies. We were happy to give a family a baby gate to keep a child safe. For children in need of … Read more
- Fun and FundsFor over a hundred years, the Children’s Enrichment Committee has been giving a helping hand to the children of Orange County. To provide that help, we look for ways to raise funds. We appreciate all the different people and organizations who have shared our mission with their generosity. But sometimes, we admit, it’s nice when there’s some fun attached. For example, there was the fundraising theater party provided by the Muddy Waters Players at the Playhouse at Museum Village. CEC members joined other theatergoers for a performance of Agatha Christie’s A Murder Is Announced. There was twist after delightful twist, proving (in case … Read more
- We Live to GiveThe Children’s Enrichment Committee loves to give clothes and furniture to children in need. We’ve been in the habit for well over 100 years. Our donors are a wonderful and varied group. We are especially appreciative of the multi-year generosity of Stewart Shops. Make sure to get one of their wonderful ice cream cones on the next glorious spring day. This year we’ve given school clothes to eight children (remember how excited you were with a new school outfit). To make the gift even more special, we gave each one a hand knit winter cap and a beautiful quilt. Clothes … Read more
- A Word From CEC President Liz HrabowskyFor over 100 years, the all-volunteer Children’s Enrichment Committee has given to children with financial needs in Orange County, with our primary focus on those in foster care. This year, in addition to the six Emily Akers Scholarships awarded to graduating high school seniors for use in colleges and trade schools, we gave grants to three current students to help them purchase supplies and books. We gave requested holiday presents to 110 foster children and included with each a gift card, a homemade blanket and hat. One child enjoyed 2 weeks in summer camp. Another got needed therapy utensils and … Read more
2023 Upcoming Meetings And Events
- Committee Meeting: Monday, November 13 at 2:00 PM at Middletown Thrall Library Meeting Room
- Volunteer Event: Short on time and energy to wrap holiday gifts? On December 16th and 17th from 12pm to 4pm, CEC will be wrapping holiday gifts at the Middletown Galleria Mall. Come see us and we will be happy to wrap for you. All donations for this gift wrapping will benefit the children CEC serves. CEC happily welcomes anyone who would like to donate and/or help with these projects. Please feel free to contact CEC at email@example.com for additional information. Come join us in bringing smiles to the faces of children!
The CEC Wishes To Thank The Following Organizations For Their Support:
- Boy Scouts Of America, NY Troop 62, Goshen NY
- First Congregational Church, Middletown NY
- First Federal Savings, Middletown NY
- First Presbyterian Church, Goshen NY
- J’s Place, Middletown NY
- Kiwanis Club of Middletown NY
- Kwik Stop Foods, Inc. Goshen, NY
- Mid-City Transit of Middletown Muddy Waters Players NY
- Orange & Rockland
- Slate Hill (NY) Quilters
- Stewart’s Shops
- United Presbyterian Church, Middletown NY
- Warwick Lions Club, Warwick NY
- Yarntastics (Newburgh , NY)
The Children’s Enrichment Committee is a program of DRC (Dispute Resolution Center)